Pinterest Review - 4th of July Decor

Last year, I only managed a small banner for July 4th.  Hey it was better than nothing!  This year, especially since I was still home on maternity leave, I wanted to make more decorations for the house.   I started with a display in our entrance.  Everything pictured below I purchased at my local Hobby Lobby about a week before the 4th - which meant it was all on sale!  I included pictures of the boys from a recent photo shoot.  I plan to change out the photos every year.  Can't wait until they stay awake for fireworks and I can get some cool photos of them then!

On Pinterest, I've been seeing all these awesome wreaths.  I've been pinning them and making a list of the kinds of wreaths I want for what holiday.
First, I am in love with burlap.  So when I saw this...




Source: etsy.com via Cassaundra on Pinterest

I had to make it.  Below is my July 4th version....


What do you think?  I love it!  In these pictures it is shown on our front door, but it actually hung above the entrance mantle decor from earlier in this post.  I purchased the wire frame, burlap ribbon (light brown and red), and bell from Hobby Lobby.  The Liberty plaque came from Michaels (Thanks Mom!).  USA are grungeboard letters from Tim Holtz that I painted.

As for my review of the pin, it was great to serve as my inspiration.  The pin itself links to an Etsy store where you can purchase your own burlap wreath.  There were no instructions.  Luckily, I realized it was just a take on the oh-so-popular mesh wreaths and used the pin below as guidance.


Speaking of which, I decided to make a deco mesh wreath to hang on the front door. 


The red deco mesh, a wire frame, ribbon, and star were all purchased from Hobby Lobby.  The white bow is from Michael's.  It is fairly simple, but since it was going outside I didn't want a lot on it.  I wanted it to withstand the elements.  Plus, without anything screaming July 4th, I plan to use the wreath on Memorial Day and President's Day and any other day I want to show my American pride!

And the pin that started it all?  It is pretty good.  Great instructional video on their blog, which is part of their store.  (A store where you can get your supplies to make your own deco mesh wreath. Love it!)  I will definitely keep this pin as a reference and for supplies.

So there you have it, my 2012 July 4th decor!  I was excited even though I finished on July 4th!  I kept up the decorations until the weekend.  Now that I have everything to welcome you into my home, next year I will be working on living room decor - the fireplace mantle specifically.

TFL and keep creating!

Comments