Breathing ice...

In case you haven't heard, I'm training for my first half-marathon this year.  I am not a runner, but I wanted to do something different.  Besides it is a stepping stone to doing a marathon, which I plan to do next year.  I'm not really sure when it happened, but a marathon ended up on my bucket list.  I am determined to cross it off. 

In the meantime, I have to get thru this half-marathon first.  I figured training in the summer in Houston was a bad idea, so I picked a race in March.  What better time to train than in the fall/winter?  Except, it gets dark early and once I get home from work I only have about 3 hrs with my son before he's in bed for the night.  So I usually end up loading him in the stroller or wagon and we walk. Well, I walk and he sits back, snacking and drinking and saying "that." I may not run as much as I would like, but I still get to say I did a half-marathon.

What does this have to do with breathing ice?  My training so far has usually been done in about 70 deg weather, maybe in the 60s every now and then.  Yesterday, I went for a run at 5 pm and it was 34 deg! I made it around my block and my chest was on fire.  It was like breathing ice.  You know when you eat ice cream or a popsicle too fast and your chest starts to burn.  That's what it felt like.  I can't decide what is better - breathing ice or water (which is what running in August feels like with the humidity).  What do you think??

Comments